Monday, October 12, 2015

Happiness is a trip to a museum

Being retired means every day is the weekend. But after having worked all my life, I can easily become bored with all that time off. So I began volunteering at a local museum. There are amazing  side benefits to this, besides doing good in my community. I've met a lot of new people from the area, and many, many people from all over the world. While they come to the museum to explore and discover, I have the opportunity to "explore and discover" them. I love finding out what they're about!


Museums are also great places to get story ideas. I began visiting the Steamboat Arabia museum in Kansas City the moment it opened. I talked to the families responsible for discovering the sunken steamboat and recovering it, I looked at artifacts and read information placards. If I had lived closer, I would certainly have volunteered there. But instead, I decided to write about it, and what better way to write than by doing a time travel -- creating a story by taking the newly discovered and weaving it back into the past. "Lost Knight of Arabia" is my latest time travel romance available at http://bookswelove.net.


This is not my first time travel. "Indigo Bay" is based on visits to a B&B and Charleston, SC. "Spinning Through Time" was written after a visit to a restored carousel -- yes, at a museum. And then there's "Prospecting for Love" that takes place in a Nevada gold mining ghost town -- quite the natural museum and historical archive. You can read about all of these on my website at www.authorsden.com/barbarajbaldwin.


Exploring, whether at a museum or just on a walk in a park, can lead to some very creative ideas!



4 comments:

  1. You can come and explore VA Beach! We have lots of museums that we haven't seen yet. And if you want to time travel, there is always Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg! Open invitation for any time and however long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spent many of my days at the museum in Pgh years ago. There is an interesting one here run by Rockland County historical society. At Christmas they have a huge doll house display, some very ole and some new

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting a museum is a fun way to learn more about the history of an area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love museums, especially those in small outback towns. In our traveling days we always visited the museum first in every town we stopped at. Not only do you find interesting artifacts but get to have a chat with the locals about their area they know so well.

    ReplyDelete