Thursday, April 13, 2017

Why I Write What I Write

Before I started writing full length fiction, I loved to read historical, especially those set in the privateer days of the colonies, and yet my first completed novel, which was historical, was set in Montana on a cattle ranch. From that moment, I learned to listen to my muse and do as she advised.

Since then, I have written several historical and time travel romances. I suppose the time travel romances could also be considered historical because I love combining a thoroughly modern heroine with a definitely alpha male from the 1800s. The differences in attitudes and behaviors spark quite the dialogue. My first time travel was called “Indigo Bay” and is still available in print and eBook through Amazon.  If you like historical, but with a twist, you might try “Spinning through Time”, “Lost Knight of Arabia” or “Prospecting for Love”. Just in case you’re not sure, did I mention that “Prospecting for Love” is FREE on kindle until April 16?

I never thought I would write contemporary because I liked the slower pace of the past, where the hero couldn’t dial 911 and speed him and the heroine away from danger in his truck. But again, I found myself writing several contemporaries, because the story idea, and the characters who asserted themselves into my subconscious, definitely belonged in the present. What started out as a trilogy “Anywhere, Anytime, Anyway” ended up being a four book series because… Well, the brothers in the stories had a sibling who was not yet happily married, and all the sisters-in-law just couldn’t stand it. 

Now, my latest contemporary “A Game of Love”, is out from Books We Love, and on Amazon countdown from April 18 through 25. (This means a great low price!) It's also available in print.

 Many authors write in one genre and it definitely works for them. It’s just not for me. When an idea for a story comes to me, it nicely tells me into what genre it would like to be placed. For example, when I visited the Steamboat Arabia museum, I immediately knew there was a story to be written. Since it paddled along the Missouri River in the 1800’s, it was a perfect setting for an historical and yet, as I wandered through the museum that was created from the excavated artifacts, I realized it was meant to be a time travel, combining both the present and the past. Thus, “Lost Knight of Arabia” was born.
                
So I guess it’s really not what and why “I” write. There are stories to be told and my characters seem to know better than I to what century they belong. All I can do is relay their wishes, and their search for romance, to you in the best way I am able.
                
To help you enjoy my books, many of them will be on Amazon Countdown during April and May. That means even more savings to those of you who read on Kindle.  (Did you know you can download the kindle ap to your computer or phone and use that for kindle books?) And, for those who still like the feel of print in their hands, many are also available in print. Visit my website at http://www.authorsden.com/barbarajbaldwin  or my Amazon author site at https://www.amazon.com/author/barbarabaldwin  for all my listings.

If you enjoy my stories as much as I enjoy writing them for you, I would love for you to leave a review on Amazon. It might entice someone else to take a peek.

Amazon Countdown deals from Books We Love:
Prospecting for Love -- April 12-16 – FREE
Always Believe – April 16-23 (Seasonal)
The Game of Love – April 18-25
If Wishes Were Magic – May 10-17 (Seasonal)
Spinning Through Time – May 10-17

Lost Knight of Arabia – May 25 – June 1

No comments:

Post a Comment